Whitney Lutgen is a Partner in the Private funds law team. She primarily advises fund sponsors in connection with the establishment, structuring and operation of private investment funds across all alternative investment strategies.
Whitney further advises GPs and institutional investors on a broad range of related transactions including co-investments and GP/fund restructurings.
Whitney was recently named to Private Equity International’s Future 40 List. She is one of only 6 lawyers on the list and was selected from over 800 nominations.
Prior to MJ Hudson, Whitney Lutgen worked in the private funds group at Kirkland & Ellis in both New York and London. Whitney also worked as In-House Counsel at Partners Group in their New York office.
- JD, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law (admitted only in New York)GDL (Commendation) & LPC (Distinction)
- MA in art history, Courtauld Institute of Art
- BA in art history magna cum laude, Colgate University
Recent client work
- advised Zurich-based private equity firm focused on lower-mid market companies in DACH on the formation and closing of fund
- advised UK based manager, focused on small / mid cap buyouts in UK and Ireland on the formation of co-investment vehicle
- advised UK-based fundless sponsor on the structuring and formation of single-asset vehicles to execute transactions on a deal-by-deal basis
- advised UK-based manager, focused on technology investments in northwest Europe on formation of carried interest vehicles and arrangements
- represented three institutional co-investors investing alongside Hg, Europe’s leading software investor, in Visma, a provider of business-critical software to enterprises in the Nordic, Benelux and Baltic regions
- advised institutional investor on investment in and participation in GP-led transaction alongside sponsor focused on growth transactions in northern Europe
Outside of work, Whitney enjoys rowing, hiking and chasing around her identical twin boys.